Assegnista di ricerca
Dipartimento di Lettere e Filosofia
Via della Pergola 58-60
Attività di ricerca
I work on topics at the intersection of phenomenology and philosophy of mind, especially concerning the analysis of perception, consciousness, and intentionality. I received my PhD in philosophy from the University of Florence in 2016. I am now working on the research project “Base-components of the knowledge of meaning” (supervisor: Prof. Roberta Lanfredini)
- AoS Phenomenology, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Perception, Philosophy of Cognitive Science.
- AoC Epistemology, Metaphysics, Kant, Post-Kantian Philosophy.
- 2018-Present: Postdoctoral Research Fellow (“Assegno di Ricerca”), Department of Humanities, University of Florence (Italy), from December 1, 2018.
Visiting Research Stays
- 2018-2019: Institute for Philosophy II, Faculty of Philosophy and Educational Research, Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Germany). Funded by a DAAD Annual Research Grant. October 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019.
- 2014: Department of Philosophy, Research Center “Phénoménologies”, University of Liège (Belgium), March 1 – June 30, 2014.
- 2016 PhD in Philosophy (European Doctoral Degree), Department of Humanities, University of Florence (Italy).
Defense: 07.03.2016. Dissertation: Experience and Becoming: A Path Through Enactivism and Genetic Phenomenology.
Supervisor: Roberta Lanfredini. Reports: Michel Bitbol, Denis Seron. Jury: Denis Seron, Paolo Spinicci, Luca Vanzago. Evaluation: excellent.
- 2011 MA in Theoretical Philosophy, Department of Humanities, University of Florence (Italy). Summa cum laude. Thesis: Consciousness and Nature: The “Hard Problems” Between Phenomenology and Philosophy of Mind (in Italian).
- 2007 BA in Philosophy, Department of Humanities, University of Catania (Italy)
Summa cum laude. Thesis: Ontology, Naturalism and Causality in David Chalmers' Fundamental Theory of Consciousness (in Italian).
- 2014 Workshop “Brentano and beyond. Phenomenology, self-consciousness and thought” (June 6-10), University of Salzburg (Austria).
- 2012 Copenhagen Summer School in Phenomenology and Philosophy of Mind 2012 (August 6-10), University of Copenhagen (Denmark).
- 2012 Scuola di Alta Formazione Filosofica XI Edition (May 14-18), Centro Studi Filosofico-Religiosi “Luigi Pareyson”, Turin (Italy), seminar lectures given by Thomas Metzinger. With grant (for travel, accomodation and stay).
- 2012 VI Annual Research Seminar of Phenomenological Philosophy: "L'Expérience subjective: Approches phénoménologiques de la conscience phénoménale" (April 23-27), University of Liège (Belgium).
Refereed Journal Articles
- 2018: “The concept of experience in Husserl’s phenomenology and James’ radical empiricism”, in Pragmatism Today 9 (2), pp. 33-42.
- 2018: “Genetic phenomenology and empirical naturalism”, in Teoria, 38 (2), pp. 149-160 (winner of the Philosophy Essay Prize “Vittorio Sainati” XIIth Edition).
- 2018: “Color relationism and enactive ontology”, in Phenomenology and Mind, 14, pp. 56-67.
- 2017: A. Pace Giannotta, “Varela on the pragmatic dimension of phenomenology”, in Constructivist Foundations, 13 (1), pp. 78-81.
- 2016: A. Pace Giannotta, “Epistemology and ontology of quality: An introduction to the enactive approach to qualitative ontology”, in Humana.Mente, 31, pp. 1-19.
- 2019: “Phenomenology, empiricism and constructivism in Paolo Parrini’s positive philosophy”, in F. Buongiorno, V. Costa, R. Lanfredini (eds.), Phenomenology in Italy. Authors, Schools, Traditions. Dordrecht: Springer (in press).
- 2018: “Fenomenologia, empirismo e costruttivismo nella filosofia positiva di Paolo Parrini”, in F. Buongiorno, V. Costa, R. Lanfredini (eds.), La fenomenologia in Italia. Autori, scuole, tradizioni. Rome: Inschibboleth, pp. 255-284.
- 2015: “Sensazioni o proprietà sensibili? Lo statuto ontologico dei qualia in fenomenologia” [“Sensations or sensible properties? The ontological status of qualia in phenomenology”], in R. Lanfredini (ed.), Architettura della conoscenza e ontologia. Milan: Mimesis, pp. 157-187.
Conference Proceedings (peer-reviewed)
- 2018: “Phenomenality and intentionality: A phenomenological problem”, in K. Boudoris (ed.), Proceedings of the XXIII World Congress of Philosophy, 27, Charlottesville: Philosophy Documentation Center, pp. 33-41.
- 2016 R. Lanfredini, N. Liberati, A. Pace Giannotta, E. Pagni (eds.), “The Enactive Approach to Qualitative Ontology: In Search of New Categories”, special issue of Humana.Mente. Journal of Philosophical Studies, 31 (invited contributions by Giuseppe Longo, Matthew MacKenzie, Darian Meacham, Shoji Nagataki, Richard Teisen Simanke, Luca Vanzago, Tõnu Viik).
- 2018 Philosophy Essay Prize “Vittorio Sainati” XIIth Edition (winner).
- 2017 Florence University Press Prize for Doctoral Thesis 2016 (special mention).
- 2007 National Philosophy Prize “Viaggio a Siracusa” IXth Edition (special mention).
Grants and Fellowships
- 2018-2019 DAAD Annual Research Grant (Forschungsstipendien – Jahresstipendien 2018/2019) awarded by the DAAD at the Institut für Philosophie II, University of Bochum (Germany). Project: Enactive Intentionality. Supervisor: Tobias Schlicht.
- 2018-2019 Ernst Mach Grant, 9-month scholarship awarded by the OeAD-GmbH at the Institut für Philosophie, University of Graz (Austria). Project: Enactive Intentionality. Supervisor: Sonja Rinofner-Kreidl (declined due to incompatibility with the DAAD grant).
- 2012 Doctoral fellowship, University of Florence, years 2012-2014.
- 2012 Centro Studi Filosofico-Religiosi “Luigi Pareyson”, Turin (Italy), grant for attending the “Scuola di Alta Formazione Filosofica XI Edition” (May, 14-18).
- 2018: “Qualitative ontology of the mind and the digital self”. International Conference “Subjectivity and Digital Culture”, Technische Universität Dresden, 06.09.2018.
- 2016: “Genetic phenomenology and enactivism on the structure of experience: Qualitative relationism and enactive ontology”. International Conference “Interactions: Phenomenology, Gestalt Psychology, and Embodied Cognitive Science”, University of Edinburgh, 03.12.2016.
- 2019: “Phenomenal relationism and neutral monism”. 26th The Science of Consciousness Conference 2019 (June 25-28), Interlaken (Switzerland), 2x.06.2019.
- 2019: “Enactive representation”. 13th Rudolf Carnap Lectures 2019 (March 14-15), Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Germany), 15.03.2019.
- 2017: “Color relationism and enactive ontology”. 25th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology (August 14-17), University of Hertfordshire (UK). [Paper accepted (poster session), unable to present].
- 2017: “The transcendental status of the body in genetic phenomenology”. 3rd International Conference on Traditions and Perspectives of the Phenomenological Movement in Central and Eastern Europe (June 29 – July 1), University of Latvia, Riga, 30.06.2017.
- 2017: “Color relationism and enactive ontology”. International Conference and Spring School of Philosophy 2017 (May 22-24), San Raffaele University, Milan, 23.05.2017.
- 2017: “Co-emergence versus naturalization: Genetic phenomenology, enactivism and neutral monism”. International Conference “Issues in Contemporary Phenomenology” (March 23-26), University of Warsaw, 25.03.2017.
- 2016: “Consciousness and nature: An alternative to naturalism from transcendental phenomenology”. International Conference “Idealism and the Metaphilosophy of Mind” (project “Idealism and the Philosophy of Mind”, John Templeton New Directions in the Study of Mind; September 15-16), University of London, 16.09.2016.
- 2016: “Qualitative relationism, neutral monism and the place of mind in nature”. 12th National Conference of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy (September 5-7), University of Pistoia, 07.09.2016.
- 2016: “The priority of epistemology over metaphysics in transcendental phenomenology”. 7th Annual University of Sussex Graduate Conference in Phenomenology (June 23-24), University of Sussex, Brighton, 23.06.2016.
- 2014: “Perceptual content, noema and object: A phenomenological analysis of the problem of perception”. 11th National Conference of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy (September 3-5), University of L’Aquila, 04.09.2014.
- 2014: “Husserl's alternative to strong intentionalism: Non-dual self-manifestation of non-intentional experiences”. Workshop “Brentano and Beyond. Phenomenology, Self-Consciousness and Thought” (June 6-10), University of Salzburg, 06.06.2014.
- 2014: “Phenomenological naturalization versus scientific naturalization of subjectivity”. 12th Annual Conference of the Nordic Society for Phenomenology (April 24-26), University of Helsinki, 25.04.2014.
- 2013: “Fenomenalità ed intenzionalità: un problema fenomenologico”. XXII National Congress of the Doctoral Programs in Philosophy (September 3-4), Fondazione Collegio San Carlo, Modena, 04.09.2013. Discussant: Paolo Spinicci.
- 2013: “Phenomenality and intentionality: A phenomenological problem”. XXIII World Congress of Philosophy (August 4-10), University of Athens, 06.08.2013.
- 2012: “The phenomenal grounding of intentionality: Elements for a comparison between the phenomenal intentionality research program and the genetic and material phenomenology”. Copenhagen Summer School in Phenomenology and Philosophy of Mind 2012 (August 6-10), University of Copenhagen, 09.08.2012. Discussant: Uriah Kriegel.
- 2012: “The relationship between phenomenal consciousness and intentionality in light of Michel Henry's material phenomenology”. VI Annual Research Seminar of Phenomenological Philosophy (April 23-27), University of Liège, 27.04.2012.
- 2019 Phenomenal Intentionality, Workshop with Angela Mendelovici. Additional speakers: David Bourget, David Pitt. Institute for Philosophy II. Ruhr-Universität Bochum. Co-organized with Tobias Schlicht. July 2-3 2019.
- 2019 IInd Bochum Early-Career Workshop in Philosophy of Mind and of Cognitive Science. Institute for Philosophy II. Ruhr-Universität Bochum. Co-organized with Krys Dolega, Judith Martens, Luke Roelofs, Elmarie Venter, Alfredo Vernazzani, Pascale Williamsen, Julia Wolf. June 13-14, 2019.
- 2019 Cycle of conferences and lectures in Theoretical Philosophy and Philosophy of Mind co-organized with Roberta Lanfredini, Alberto Peruzzi, Silvano Zipoli Caiani and Gabriele Ferretti, Department of Humanities, University of Florence. Invited speakers (provisional list): Alfredo Tomasetta (1.3), Arnaldo Benini (28.3), Uriah Kriegel (16.4), Giulia Parovel (22.5), Josefa Toribio (23.5). February-July 2019.
- 2012-2017 Workshops co-organized with Roberta Lanfredini at the Department of Humanities, University of Florence: “On color” (06.06.2017), “Qualitative ontology” (15.07.2016), “Time and movement” (09.05.2014), “Naturalization of the living and naturalization of the aesthetic” (3-4.06.2013) “Thinking the earth” (25.05.2012).
- 2018 “Enactive intentionality”. Poster presentation at the Evalutation of Tobias Schlicht’s Lichtenberg-Professorship and Project “Situated Cognition. Perceiving the World and Understanding Other Minds”, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, 05.12.2018.
- 2017 “Pure experience and primal impression: A comparison between genetic phenomenology and radical empiricism” (in Italian). Conference “Immediacy and experience. Between Wittgenstein and pragmatism” (September 28-29), University of Florence, 29.09.2017.
- 2017 “Ontology of color: A relationist proposal” (in Italian). Workshop “On color”, University of Florence (Italy), 19.06.2017.
- 2016 “Epistemology and ontology of quality: qualitative relationism” (in Italian). Workshop “Qualitative ontology”, University of Florence, 15.07.2016.
- 2012 “The phenomenal genesis of experience: Elements for a comparison between the phenomenal intentionality research program and genetic and material phenomenology” (in Italian). Workshop “Experience”, Doctoral School in Philosophy, University of Florence, 25.05.2012.
- 2019 Seminar (28 hours) for the MA in Cognitive Science and MA in Psychology, Institute for Philosophy II, Faculty of Philosophy and Educational Research, Ruhr-Universität Bochum (April-July 2019). Title: “Phenomenal Consciousness and Intentionality”.
- 2018 Teaching and Research Assistant in Theoretical Philosophy (“cultore della materia”), Department of Humanities, University of Catania. Functions: member of the Committee for the oral exams in Theoretical Philosophy (BA), Sociology of Culture (BA) and Philosophy of Mind (MA).
- 2017-2018 Teaching and Research Assistant in Theoretical Philosophy (“cultore della materia”), Department of Humanities, University of Florence.
- 2018 Lectures (10 hours): “Consciousness and intentionality” (06.03.2018), “Phenomenal intentionality” (07.03.2018), “Enactive intentionality” (12.03.2018), “Temporality and self-consciousness” (23-24.04.2018); within the Laboratory of Theoretical Philosophy (Roberta Lanfredini) for the MA in Philosophy, University of Florence.
- 2017 Coordinator of a reading group on the philosophy of color, Department of Humanities, University of Florence, March-May 2017.
- 2017 Lecture: “Categories and reality in genetic phenomenology” at the “Seminar on Categories”, coordinator: Venanzio Raspa, Doctoral School in Human Studies, University of Urbino (Italy), 26.04.2017.
- 2017 Lecture: “Mental states and living presence: The temporality of experience between philosophy of mind and phenomenology”, Sensibilia. Colloquium on Perception and Experience (11th Edition 2017), organizers: Tonino Griffero and Marco Tedeschini, Doctoral School in History and Philosophical-Social Sciences, University of Rome Tor Vergata, 07.04.2017.
- Humana.Mente (2016, 2019)
- Synthese (2018a, 2018b).
- English: fluent in reading, speaking and writing (C1+).
- French: good in reading, conversational speaking and basic writing (B1/B2).
- German: basic reading, speaking and writing (A1).
- Italian: native.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Qua-Onto-Tech (Qualitative Ontology and Technology), research unit at the University of Florence (since 2017).
- Epistemologica, research group at the University of Florence (since 2012).
- SIFA (Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy), since 2014.
- NoSP (Nordic Society for Phenomenology), since 2014.
- Roberta Lanfredini
Full Professor (Theoretical Philosophy), University of Florence
Via della Pergola, 58-60 (Italy)
- Alberto Giovanni Biuso
Full Professor (Theoretical Philosophy), University of Catania
Piazza Dante 32, 95124 Catania (Italy)
- Denis Seron
Senior Research Associate FNRS (Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique; Maître de recherche, maître de conférences), University of Liège
Place du Vingt-Août 7, B- 4000 Liège (Belgium)
- Michel Bitbol
Director of Research CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique)
Archives Husserl (UMR CNRS 8547, Pays Germaniques)
Ecole Normale Supérieure, 45, rue d'Ulm, 75005 Paris, France
- Tobias Schlicht
Lichtenberg-Professor of Philosophy with a Focus on Consciousness and Cognition, Institut für Philosophie II, Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Universitätsstraße 150, D-44780 Bochum (Germany)